Monday, May 4, 2009

Pulled Pork with Strawberry BBQ Sauce

This is What’s for Dinner birthday edition.

Everyone at my party voted this a winner and it is kind of different but doesn’t taste anything like what you would expect. It is from Better Homes and Gardens but I modified their recipe and just put it in the crock pot because I am cool like that. If you want to do it their way in the dutch oven like a crazy then look it up on their website.

I like to upload both pictures so you can see how real food turns out and because I am sure my food pictures drive all you photographer’s nuts. I just get real close and hope it is not to fuzzy then just upload – that is how I roll people.

2-1/2- to 3-lb. boneless pork sirloin, shoulder, or butt roast
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
4 cups strawberries, halved or quartered
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
2 Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
8 rolls or buns, split
Fresh parsley leaves (optional)
Green tomato wedges (optional)

Directions

Trim fat from pork. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Brown pork in saucepan with oil before placing in the crockpot. Add half the strawberries, the ketchup, vinegar, garlic, rosemary, and several dashes hot pepper sauce. Cook in crock pot for 4 hours on high or 10 hours on low. (I vote for the low setting with pork.)

For strawberry BBQ sauce, remove pork from crock pot and shred – put sauce in a new pan on stove and simmer for 8-10 minutes until reduced by half. Add ½ sauce to pork meat then cube remaining strawberries and add to remaining sauce.

Serve pork on buns. Top with additional sauce and parsley. Pass remaining sauce. Serve with tomato wedges. Makes 8 sandwiches.

No comments: