So I am a numbers person and I know you probably don’t care but it is just fascinating how much is not going on. I know there are tons of people saying the market has “recovered,” but I say No Way! I also don’t think that the market being at 1997-1998 levels is anywhere near a recovery. If you are my age it means you have made zero money for the last 10 years or probably since you started investing in the market.
Just look at this chart of CMBS issuance here. This stuff freaks me out. It is so plain to see that nothing is going anywhere. I think they let the commercial stuff slide because it doesn’t immediately affect people like residential mortgages.
Another interesting thing is the job or jobless market. I got this info off of the Bureau for Labor Statistics so I am assuming they are accurate. The information for May is as follows:
Total Workers: 155,000,000
Employed: 140,570,000
Unemployed: 14,511,000 which is 9.4%
These numbers also show an average monthly job loss of around 700,000 per month for March, April, and May 2009. At that rate we would have zero jobs in 16 years and 25% unemployed in 2.5 years. But, what you don't hear on the "news" is that the numbers are rising and fast.
Anyway my only point is these numbers are real and what you hear at night on MSNBC and CNBC is crazy stuff. They tell you stuff like home sales rose .3%. But you have no idea from what last year last, month, or 1965. It is so easy to distort the numbers and show what they what you to see. So I just like to look at the big picture and I thought I would share today.
I am working on a little story about home foreclosures, delinquencies, and credit card delinquencies just to show how close to the edge we really are. I don’t have a solution short of leaving the country (which I might do) but I think it is important to know what is going on.
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment