Thursday, April 30, 2009

What’s for Dinner & Once a Month Cooking

Easy Chicken Stir Fry – Thanks to ThePioneerWomanCooks.com (she has the best food)!
This is what I made for Once a Month Cooking (X3) this week and we did have it for dinner last night so I am counting it and now I have lots of fancy oil...who knew.




Easy Monday Night Stir Fry
Peanut Oil
3 chicken breasts, cut into cubes (can also use beef, shrimp, or pork)
Splash of soy sauce
Drizzle of sesame oil
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks (can also use yellow or green bell peppers)
10 white mushrooms, sliced (can use any mushrooms you like)
1 small jar baby corn, cut into pieces
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 rounded teaspoons arrowroot
Rice Vinegar
Sesame OilFresh Cilantro


After cutting meat into chunks, drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.Prepare all vegetables and have them ready.Mix 1/2 cup soy sauce with sugar. Stir together and set aside.Mix 1/4 cup chicken broth with arrowroot. Stir together and set aside.Measure an additional 1/4 cup chicken broth. Set aside.To begin stir fry, heat skillet or wok over high heat. When it’s hot, drizzle in 2 tablespoons peanut oil. Add meat to skillet and fry quickly, stirring around for 3 to 3 minutes. When brown and just cooked through, remove to a separate bowl.



Add additional 1 tablespoon peanut oil to same skillet.Throw in onions and cook for 1 minute.Add red bell pepper and cook for 30 seconds.Add garlic and ginger. Stir.Add mushrooms and stir. Cook for 45 seconds.Add baby corn. Stir.Pour in 1/4 cup chicken broth.Pour in soy sauce/sugar mixture.Drizzle in 1 teaspoon rice vinegar.Drizzle in 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil.Dump in cooked chicken. Stir together.Pour in chicken broth/arrowroot mixture.Stir together, then turn off heat. Sauce should be much thicker.At the very end, seconds before serving, stir in 1/2 cup (or up to 1 cup) roughly chopped cilantro.Serve over cooked rice.

2 comments:

Marin said...

Diane,
I think I will make this! I LOVE sesame oil!
And what would you like for your birthday? A Texasecede bumper sticker? Some Ammo? Some BBQ sauce from Spring Creek? Maybe a don't mess with Texas shirt. Or something you really want?

Jessie Riley said...

YUMMY...
I'm pretty sure that THE PIONEER WOMAN is my idol...
I love the photography portion of her blog.
Her recipe's ARE AWESOME!!!