Friday, November 7, 2008

Love One Another



I was a little scared to post this and hope I don't get to much retribution from anyone but after my last post about not being afraid I felt like I had to express my feelings.

I ran across this article in the L.A. Times regarding reactions to Proposition 8 and found it interesting:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-protest7-2008nov07,0,3827549.story

“Outside the Los Angeles temple Thursday, dozens of protesters screamed "Bigots" and "Shame on You" at half a dozen men in button-down shirts and ties who looked out at the demonstration from behind the temple's closed gates.”

The LDS Churches response was listed on their website and stated the following

“We hope that now and in the future all parties involved in this issue will be well informed and act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility toward those with a different position. No one on any side of the question should be vilified, intimidated, harassed or subject to erroneous information. “

I feel very strongly that people should treat each other how they want to be treated. I for one would never think or say any of the things toward ANYONE like the words being used against member of the LDS Church.

Dahin H. Oaks wrote an article in the Liahona, March 1996 entitled Same Gender Attraction. The counsel he gave to church members way back in 1996 is very pertinent today. He wrote:

In the midst of the challenges and choices of mortal life, we are all under the Savior’s commandment to “love one another” (John 15:12, 17). As the First Presidency said in a recent message:

“We are asked to be kinder with one another, more gentle and forgiving. We are asked to be slower to anger and more prompt to help. We are asked to extend the hand of friendship and resist the hand of retribution. We are called upon to be true disciples of Christ, to love one another with genuine compassion, for that is the way Christ loved us.”

Kindness, compassion, and love are powerful instruments in strengthening us to carry heavy burdens imposed without any fault of our own and to do what we know to be right.

So many of today’s problems could be solved with a little bit of love and understanding. We should all strive to get to know each other and understand each other. We need to build a nation where we can love each other in spite of and because of our differences. I think deep down we all want the same thing…to be able to live our lives free from hate and persecution in safety and peace. In order to make it there all parties must be able to show love “one to another.”

4 comments:

Kate said...

I'm strongly opposed to prop 8. I stood on street corners and rallied against it. Needless to say, I voted against it. But I made a point, no matter how frustrated I may have been (or am currently) feeling, to always treat those on the other side of the issue with respect. Because how can I demand equal respect for all if I do not give it?

Diane said...

Kate- That is exactly my point. Hate and name calling never got anyone anywhere. I am all for protest and making YOUR voice heard. I just think both sides need to do it more respectfully.

Lucie said...

I won't call people in the church names. I don't think it's right to pinpoint one church (LDS) in this either. HOWEVER To me, treating each other with respect means affording each other the same rights. I know if I want to treat others how I would like to be treated, I wouldn't be telling other consenting adults that they cannot get married.

Jordan said...

Diane, I applaud you for always having the courage to bring the precarious topics to discussion, it's a admirable trait that you wield with such finesse.

While I feel the same as Lucie, I find great fault in the response leveled upon the LDS chruch.

What took place in the prop 8 vote is not unlike the presidential race. You have a well organized and funded congregation in contention with a inadequately coordinated coalition.

We have to remember that while the call to support prop 8 may have indeed came indirectly from the leaders of the church, it was the members who ultimately chose to open their pocket books and donate the $30 sum million in support.

It's unfortunate that still in this day and age the size of ones wallet can have such a prodigious effect.

Simply put the supporters did a better job presenting their case to a greater audience. One may always argue that given equal resources outcomes of historic events such as this may be drastically different, but that is a world that we may never see.